Time to reflect on working remotely and now that’s coming to a close. Let’s look at all the ways working from home is bad for your long-term health and happiness.
We brainstormed 22 reasons why working from home can be harmful:
- Colleagues and teams are siloed, making collaboration difficult.
- Feelings of isolation, loneliness, and lack of inclusion start to creep in.
- Enthusiasm about building and growing is more difficult to foster.
- Employee’s home-work life becomes unbalanced.
- Cabin fever sets in.
- No ability to separate workspace from home space.
- Ergonomics may be compromised.
- Miscommunication is far more likely.
- Fewer breaks and more extended workdays become normal.
- Diminished creativity.
- Random discussions and spontaneous brainstorming are limited.
- Supervision begins to suffer.
- Productivity diminishes.
- Information gleaned from overheard conversations ceases to exist.
- Home network security creates extra headaches for the company.
- Slow home internet speeds reduce productivity.
- Limited access to necessary tools such as printers and scanners.
- Supervisors may become suspicious that employees aren’t working, leading to greater levels of distrust.
- Remote work is unfair to those who are required to work from the office.
- Repetitive tasks such as data entry become more difficult with the distractions of home.
- Motivation begins to slip.
- MS Teams fatigue!
There’s likely more reasons, but this is a long list to consider!